Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Dairy Queen Conspiracy

Some people sit around wondering how things get done, while others engineer a plan. It has been said that necessity is the mother of invention, but there is another mom that is equally powerful... boredom. In the town where my friends and I grew up, the activity of choice was cruising up and down the streets to see who else was roaming around, bored out of their wits. Like many small towns across the country, one of the favorite places for kids to stop for a treat, and regain feeling in their road weary butts, was the local Dairy Queen store. The business was well established and prosperous, but I started noticing a disturbing shortfall in our local facility. It came to my attention and distress that our Dairy Queen was not as good as the ones in other towns because our shop did not offer Brazier burgers and other food items that could be ordered elsewhere. "Oh my," thought I, "This will never do."

As the engine of change, I cooked up a plan one hot summer night with about six of my friends to bring about a significant social evolution in the fabric of our community. Being the author of the idea, I briefed my compatriots carefully, then volunteered to be the first to get the ball rolling in the right direction. Here is how the plan was executed.

From the parking lot, I entered the store alone, my pockets completely empty of money, marching boldly toward the counter to place my order. I stood looking up at the sign as if deeply pondering my choices, and waited for the person behind the counter to wipe the sweat off their zits, smile, and ask how they could help me.

The question played right into my trap as I replied, "Well, let's see here now. I'll have six Cokes, five vanilla ice cream cones, seven orders of fries, and seven Brazier burgers..."

In response, the clerk shook his head and said, "I'm sorry, Sir. We don't have Brazier burgers here."

With a command performance of shock and disappointment, I asked, "What? This is Dairy Queen isn't it? You don't have Brazier burgers?"

"No, Sir. Sorry."

With a flurry of indignant outrage, I told the clerk, "Oh, well forget it then. If you don't have Brazier burgers, I'll just go some place else."

Without buying anything, I left the store, and sent in the next conspirator. In total, a similar scene played out six more times in rapid succession, each order growing in size, and each person leaving dejected over the lack of the delicious Brazier food we had come to expect from Dairy Queen. Before we piled back into our cars and left the parking lot, the last of our group of conspirators reported a sense of frantic desperation in the voice of the counter clerk as the lad performed the unhappy duty of losing yet another customer due to the lack of quality Brazier products.

Within a month of this encounter, we learned that our beloved Dairy Queen had remodeled the store to install a drive up window, and put Brazier burgers on their menu. I am not sure I ever ordered a burger from that particular Dairy Queen, but our work was not wasted. The additional food items made the place more popular than ever. Who says a small group of people can't get anything done?

Maybe others will use the Dairy Queen Conspiracy model to up their presence on computer screens all over the world. "I don't buy nothing here unless the business sponsors the savory tidbits available only at EzineArticles." It might work...

Beer Brewing Breakfast Cereals Gift Basket

No comments:

Post a Comment