Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Baking a Cake - The 5 Essential Tips


Image : http://www.flickr.com


Baking a cake that is awesome doesn't take too much work. What it takes is real attention to detail and one special ingredient. I'll give you my top 5 tips and my secret ingredient.

First, I never get out ingredients until I decide what I want to bake. Many people start doing too much. They get out salt, eggs, sugar and more. All this does is add to the confusion.

Second, I always make sure that my baking area is 100% clean and tidy. I actually clean up before I start to bake. Pretty smart, right? It gets you in the right state of mind too.

Third, I always read the recipe from start to finish. I never just start grabbing pots and pans. I never grab ingredients when I am baking a cake. That's silly. Get all the details straight in your mind before you do anything.

Fourth, on a related note, I actually visualize how I want my cake to look and to taste. I don't just read the recipe and throw the cake together. No way! Instead, I actually pretend to smell the cake and I make sure I have a clear picture of everything in my mind.

Fifth, I make sure that I have all my ingredients before I start to mix everything together. How many times have you started getting everything ready when you suddenly realize that you are missing something, like eggs or flour or sugar. That's just painful. Plan ahead and you will succeed.

And finally, my secret ingredient is love. Sounds kind of silly but if I visualize other people eating my cake, it pretty much forces me to pay better attention. And, it helps me to remember to do things right because I want people to love my cake just as much as I love them. See how that works?

Now, with all that said, do you think you're ready to be a professional? Want to set up and run your own cake business? It can be extremely rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment