Monday, June 21, 2010

Right to Recover - Book Review

I was totally in the dark regarding the subject of stem cell research. Reviewing Yvonne Perry's new book, "Right to Recover," ISBN #1-933449-41-1, Price: $19.95, 335 pp, seemed a Herculean task. But, wow. I read it. And I sure am glad.

So what is a blastocyst? And did I really want to know? Did I really care?

In "Right to Recover," Yvonne Perry answers the above questions, and more. Best part, Perry does it in simple terms, giving a layperson, just like me, the ability to digest words and to better understand this hot topic--Start to finish.

In 2001, my only child was in a near fatal car accident. He broke his back, his hip, his ribs, his pelvis, and he suffered a long list of internal injuries. It took 33 hours of surgery, a titanium disc, a steel rod, a steel plate, a steel ball, a steel socket and more than 35 steel pins to rebuild his body. I didn't think he would walk. Ever. Again. He was 25 years old.

Through the miracle of modern science meshed with the brilliance of state-of-the-art technology and a team of dedicated surgeons and nurses, he survived and lived to drive his mother crazy another day. To see him today, scooting about to catch a train, climb a ladder, chase a dog, or hug his new bride no one would ever know how seriously injured he was and that he almost didn't live, much less walk.

I can only pretend disappointment had my child needed H. R. 810 and not been able to have it because of a veto, or a politician dictating what should or shouldn't be.

I am elated Yvonne Perry wrote "Right to Recover." I am grateful to her for enlightening me on the subject of stem cell research, and clearing up the controversial topic of the day.

I pray her words reach non-believers throughout the world.

"Right to Recover" makes a difference.

The research is there - 400 hours worth!

Yvonne Perry makes a strong case in favor of stem cell research, citing how quickly the field changes.

In addition, Perry offers a url http://www.right2recover.com to keep readers current. Check it out. Be sure to purchase a copy of her book. And read it. You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment